Our placement tests are for students with previous knowledge of the language. If you have no previous knowledge, you don’t have to take a placement test. Instead you can register directly for our beginners’ classes.
The Language Center offers paper & pencil tests in lecture rooms and computer-assisted tests in the Language Lab or Zuselab. Both procedures use the same test, and you are not allowed to use any help in the test. As the placement test determines your language level, no special preparation is necessary.
The result of your placement test is valid until you successfully complete one of our language courses. You cannot improve you level by writing a placement test after having attended a course with the Language Center. You can take the placement test only once.
To take a placement test you need to set up a User Account on our website. If you haven’t registered yet, please click on Your User Account. You need the university User-ID, called TIM-ID, to register.
The placement test for our German Language Program takes approximately 180 minutes. You can find the dates of our placement tests under Dates & Deadlines Semester Courses.
Information about the procedure
Paper & pencil tests
- To take a placement test you need to set up a User Account on our website. If you haven’t registered yet, please click on "Your User Account". You need the university User-ID, called TIM-ID, to register.
- You need a valid ID for the placement test, Bluecard, e.g. identity card, passport.
- Our computer-assisted tests take place in the Language Lab or Zuselab.
- A registration for these placement tests is obligatory.
- To take part in the test you need your university User-ID, called TIM-ID plus the belonging password and a valid ID, e.g. Bluecard, identity card or passport. You have to bring your own set of headphones to the test.
- Without a valid TIM-ID you can’t take the computer-assisted test. If you have a problem with your TIM-ID or password, please contact the IT-Service Desk of the IT Center.